Friday, August 1, 2014

Surviving the NCMHCE Exam

A wise woman told me (repeatedly) "It's not how much you know it's knowing the test".

As you may or may not have heard, I passed the NCMHCE exam a few weeks ago.  I just wanted to share how I prepared and my experience with taking the exam.

  • I used www.counselingexam.com to prepare for the test.  A few of us interns chipped in and shared a login information for about 6 months.  The practice scenarios were helpful although they may want to change the wording of the questions (the actual exam doesn't give as much background info, you find out more information about the client as you answer the questions).  
  • I completed a practice scenario about every couple of days then every other day up to my test date.  I did not take a practice test the night before.  I made notes of what I missed and discussed with my clinical supervisor answers I did not agree with (there will be answers you will not agree with...SUCK IT UP if you want to pass!).
  • I also went over DSM-5 changes, decision making, and read all the tips counselingexam.com provided.
  • I went to a DSM-5 training that my agency provided.  I found that to be most helpful oddly enough.  I strongly encourage you to take a DSM-5 training, course, webinar, whatever you can get to.
  • My jobs require me to do A LOT of assessments, which was a useful thing for me on the information gathering part of the exam.  If you can, do as many assessments as you can and pay attention to the questions you're asking clients in order to make your diagnosis.  
  • I took my test day off as soon as I scheduled it.  You will not want to be anywhere near work pass or fail.
  • Simulation History was the most useful tool I used during the exam.  It doesn't work on the counselingexam.com scenarios but being able to look at all my answers, right or wrong, helped me in my approach to answering the questions.
  • Know your diagnoses and how they're similar and different.  V-codes and all.
  • Know your treatment interventions but pay attention to what is correct and incorrect on the practice scenarios...even if you do not agree with the answer!
  • Know your ethics and cultural competency.
  • Have lots of support and solicit prayers (good vibes, thoughts, well wishes, etc.) :)!

That's all I can think of for now.  I'm so glad I don't have to take that sucker again!! It was more difficult than the Series 7!

Well I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Take Care and Stay Cool!

-Kimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment